Learning for Life (LLP)
Every student can be a leader and mastery of self is an important component of his / her leadership development and journey in New Town Secondary School.
As part of the school’s vision to ‘Nurture Talents and Sharing Success’, we seek to also develop confident and compassionate student leaders to lead, serve and excel.
Outcomes of the Learning For Life Programme
1. Ethical and reflective leader who shows concern for the community.
2. Skilled servant leader who are competent to serve and lead by example.
3. Empowered contributor who are able to exert positive energy to spheres of influence.
Every staff in the school is involved in the training of student leadership as shown below:
We adopt a progressive and integrative developmental approach in the trainings as well as application platforms for student leaders. Besides engaging the entire cohort of students in self-mastery and developing in them an awareness of serving their community, there is also customised training for the different segments of student leaders.
Under the distinctive school programme i.e. LLP in Student Leadership, our students have the opportunities for applications of learning and to lead within and beyond the school too.
1) To develop students into confident and compassionate leaders with
2) To enable students to acquire leadership skills through workshops and training
3) To provide opportunities and expose for students to take on leadership roles.
1. Leadership Cohort Training programme for Secondary 1 students
• To expose students to concepts pertaining to Self-Leadership & Conflict Management
• To provide platforms to understand Leadership Challenge on “Encourage the Heart” approach
2. Leadership Cohort Training programme for Secondary 2 students
• Promote team bonding and team synergy between students
• Enable students to effectively solve conflicts through problem-based scenarios
• To provide platforms to understand Leadership Challenge on “Challenge the Process” approach
3. Secondary 3 3D2N Outdoor Adventure Camp (Cohort Character Development Programme)
• To inculcate School Values and Team Bonding amongst the students
• To deepen students’ understanding of The Leadership Challenge and use the “Enable others to Act”
4. Student Leaders Year-End Leadership Training Camp (differentiated learning objectives)
To equip Student Councillors with the following:
• Problem-solving skills and communication skills as a leader
• Managing group dynamics skills & conflict management skills
To equip Peer Support Leaders with the following:
• Identifying and picking out peers in need
• Provide emotional support to peers in need
5. Secondary 1 Orientation Camp (Training of Students Leaders to organise and run the Orientation Camp)
• To develop confident and effective student leaders in organising and planning for the Secondary 1 Orientation Camp
6. Teachers’ Day Concert
• A platform for Student Councillors to apply and hone their leadership skill in planning and organising
7. Student Leadership Workshop for West 1 Cluster Primary School Student Leaders
• Teacher facilitated Sec 3 Student Councillors in planning, organising and facilitating a leadership workshop for primary school student leaders.
• To develop student leaders into confident and compassionate leaders with strong character
8. Student Leaders’ Investiture
• To appoint and recognise Student Councillors, Peer Support Leaders and CCA Leaders before their school peers
• To inspire lower secondary students to want to be student leaders
9. Class Committee Training: Ambassadors’ Training in skills and competencies
• Involves the ambassadors of Sports and Health, ICT, NE, Aesthetics and Green Guardians
• Train these ambassadors in specific skills and competencies to contribute to their respective spheres of influence
10. Class Committee Training: Class Chairpersons Workshop
• To understand roles and responsibilities of a class chairperson
• To equip class chairpersons with basic communication skills and conflict management
11. CCA Leaders and Members Training
• In partnership with NTSS Alumni, to train up competent and skills CCA leaders through CCA programme, Camps and First Aid equipping
Staff in Charge
Mr Evan Ng (HOD/ Innovation and Student Leadership)
Mr Yong Wei Hoong (Teacher IC/ Student Council)
Mrs Keira Seow (Teacher IC/ Student Council)
Ms Joy Sim (Teacher IC/Student Council)
Mr Nicholas Low (Teacher IC/Peer Support Leaders)
Click on the link below to access the article:
New Town Sec_LLP.pdf
New Town Sec_LLP.pdf