In line with the school’s vision of ‘nurturing talents’ and its emphasis on developing resilient learners and confident leaders, the student leadership programme in NTSS serves as a platform to provide all Newtowners with leadership training opportunities to excel and optimise their potentials and to nurture students to be leaders who can lead and serve as future leaders of our nation.
The school currently train and equip four segments of student leaders. They are:
a. Student Councillors
b. Peer Support Leaders
c. CCA Leaders
d. Class Committee Leaders
- To develop effective and confident leaders.
In developing the leadership potential of students, the school is guided by its belief that all students have the potential to be leaders. In the student leadership framework, the school identifies five levels of student leaders whereby students in each level are developed progressively to achieve different learning and behavioural outcomes. NTSS is committed to provide the trainings and platforms for students to perform and succeed in their leadership development journey
Principles of Student Leadership
- All students have the potential to lead fellow students. Students only differ in their skills and readiness for leadership opportunities.
- Student Leadership opportunities are important as the school provides a safe environment for mistakes to be made without fear of large consequences.
- Leadership skills and attitude can be learnt and developed at an early stage to enable students to understand that their perspectives are important and they are able to effect change where necessary.
Leadership Development of Students
In accordance with LEAPS 2.0, NTSS has identified 5 levels of leadership development based on the above principles and the necessary leadership competencies for the various categories of student leaders:
Level 1 – General student population
Level 2 – Class Representatives
Level 3 – Student Councillors, Peer Support Leaders, Class Ambassadors, Class Chairpersons and CCA Leaders
Level 4 – Senior Student Councillors, Senior Peer Support Leaders and CCA Executive Committee (EXCO)
Level 5 – Student Council Executive Committee and Peer Support Leaders Executive Committee
Activities / Programmes
1. Secondary 1 – Cohort Leadership Training Programme
2. Secondary 2 – Cohort Leadership Training Programme
3. Secondary 3 – Cohort Character and Leadership Development Camp
4. Class Leaders Training and Development e.g. F.U.N. concert lead by Aesthestics ambassdors, Class Chairpersons leadership workshops etc
5. CCA Leaders Character and Leadership Development e.g. leadership rank promotion exercise, OBS etc
6. Student Council Training and Development e.g. lead in Sec 1 Orientation camp, Teachers’ Day concert, W1 Cluster Primary schools student leadership workshop etc.
7. Peer Support Leaders Training and Development eg. Sec 1 Orientation camp, peer to peer engagement
8. CCA Leaders training in partnership with NTSS Youth Alumni
Photos of Student Leaders
Staff in charge
Mr Evan Ng (HOD/ Innovation and Student Leadership)
Mr Jonathan Low (Teacher IC/ CCA Leaders)
Mr Lim Lee (Teacher 2IC/ CCA Leaders)
Mr Yong Wei Hoong (Teacher IC/ Student Council)
Mrs Keira Seow (Teacher IC/ Student Council)
Ms Joy Sim (Teacher IC/Student Council)
Ms Chong Hui Min (Teacher 2IC/ Student Council)
Mr Timothy Lim (Teacher IC/Peer Support Leaders)
Mr Nicholas Low (Teacher IC/Peer Support Leaders)